David J. Suffern CPP
Tip of Spear Inc.
David Suffern has been involved with the public safety field for the past 30 years. This ranges from licensed establishments, military, provincial corrections, health care (peace officer) and as a Security Manager/ Senior Security Manager of large Public Facilities. Director/ Owner of Tip of Spear Inc.
David currently holds a Certified Protection Professional (CPP) designation through the American Society of Industrial Security. This designation indicates board certification in security management through ASIS and requires continuous participation in the community through education and speaking requirements. It is widely recognized as the highest designation accorded to a security practitioner.
David completed his University of Alberta Security Management Certificate. Basic Law, organizational behavior, physical security and business related topics being part of the program.
He is currently a member of the ASIS Edmonton Chapter where he served two terms as the treasurer. Also, Dave is a member of the International Law Enforcement Educators Trainers Association (ILEETA), Alberta Hunters Education, Canadian Historical Arms Society and National Firearms Association.
David has been instructing programs since 1996, starting with Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, Aggressive Patient De-escalation Techniques. The program was taught to medical professionals and security professionals.
In 2000, David was certified as an instructor in Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT/ Human Factors Research Group). This includes Threat recognition, arrest and control, weapon retention and baton. He has been an active instructor to this day in the program.
David was also certified as an instructor in PPCT Spontaneous Knife Defense, Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) and Winning Mind Ground Fighting.
David started Tip of Spear Inc. to focus on the industry needs of training new security professionals entering the industry. David was accredited by the Alberta Justice as a trainer of the Alberta Security Services and Investigators Programs. David was also recognized as a Baton/Use of Force Trainer.
David has been certified as an instructor in Controlled F.O.R.C.E. levels 1 and 2. He is also a certified instructor in O.C. Spray for Peace Officers. David is a Certified Canadian Firearms Safety Instructor for the province of Alberta /Non-Restricted and Restricted Firearms.
David is one of the few instructors in Canada to be certified as a Civilian Instructor of the International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF) – Krav Maga Combatives program. He currently is ranked a G2 in the program.
He teaches the Verbal Judo program to Security and Peace Officers as an instructor. He also teaches a Dynamic Communication Program as well as a Mobile Intelligent Threat program for professional corporations.
He has been a guest instructor for the CPTED Crime Prevention through Environmental Design program for the Edmonton Police Service.
David was featured in Canadian Security Magazine November 2008 archived, for the use of documenting
and analyzing event statistics to develop an event risk profile. “Scoring with event statistics”, written by Jennifer Brown.
– Canadian Certified Firearms Instructor (Non and Restricted Firearms)
– Certified Instructor of the SSIA Security and Investigators Programs/ Alberta Justice.
– Civilian Instructor / Krav Maga Combatives – IKMF (International Krav Maga Federation)
– Certified Protection Officer – ICPTA (International Close Protection Training Association)
– Instructor Use of force / Handcuffing and Baton HFRG (Human Factors Research Group)
– Verbal Judo Instructor
– Peace Officer Level 1 Training – Justice Academy
– Correctional Officer Basic – Staff College
– Controlled F.O.R.C.E. Instructor level 1 and level 2
– Tactical OC Spray Instructor
– Crowd Management – EPS
– Crime Prevention Through Environmental
– Design Basic (CPTED) – EPS
– Crime Prevention Through Environmental
– Design Advanced (CPTED) – EPS
– Investigative Interviewing – Advanced Systems
– Incident Command Systems – 100
– Incident Command Systems – 200
– Basic Emergency Management
– Protective Safety Systems (PSS)
– Scene of the Crime 1 and 2 – EPS
– Occupational Health and Safety
– IAHS International Association of Hospital Security – Basic
– IAHS International Association of Hospital Security – Supervisory
– Cooperative Policing – Edmonton Police Service (EPS)
– Protect – Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC)
– Proserve (AGLC)
Seminars and Conferences
David has attended seminars and conferences relating to the training and security industry all over North America. These conferences are listed on his Linkedin File for exact dates and content. These are too numerous for this bio.
David has been awarded several distinctions. Presidents Commendation (Contract/National) for services above and beyond.
Presidents Commendation (Healthcare) for services during crisis.
David won the Runner-up Commandants Shield in Basic Training military (2nd in a class of 140). David has multiple letters of thanks and appreciation for assisting with problem issues, instructing and or the development of system solutions.