If you guys had left over squash, here’s another idea for you to try found online and I can’t wait to try this one myself, I haven’t tried it yet but it seems genuinely healthy and good. I thank whoever posted this online.
1 hour 10 mins
This Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Spinach is full of traditional Italian flavors!
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs (or see notes to make your own)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove all seeds and place on baking sheet face down. Bake for 35 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat, add butter, onions, bell pepper, and minced garlic, saute for 4-5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add chopped spinach and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes, or until spinach is cooked and wilted. Remove from heat.
- Once squash is cooked and cooled, use a fork to shred flesh into large bowl. At this point, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Add the egg, Greek yogurt, chili flakes, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine well.
- Pour 1 cup spaghetti sauce into 2 quart baking dish.
Next, spoon spaghetti squash mixture over sauce and spread evenly. Then layer sautéed veggies over squash, stirring just slightly to combine it with squash, add another cup of spaghetti sauce, spread evenly then top with remaining bread crumbs, Parmesan and ¾ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
To make your own seasoned bread crumbs, toast one piece of bread until nice and crispy, allow to cool completely, then tear into smaller pieces and add to food processor, add 1 tsp parsley, 1 tsp oregano, ½ tsp onion powder and ¼ tsp garlic powder. Blend 10-15 seconds or until you have fine crumbs.
Serving size: 2
Saturated fat: 3.5
Unsaturated fat: .4