Quinoa Cereal Protein Bars
- 1½ cups quinoa flakes
- 2 cups gluten free flour mix or white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum (ONLY if using gluten free flour w/o xanthan gum)
- ½ cup flax seed meal (or ground flax seeds)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 ¼ cups apple sauce
- ½ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 ounces organic jam, any flavor
- ¼ cup water.
- 6 dried apricots
- ¼ c. cocoa powder
- ½ c. vegan chocolate protein powder
- 1½ tbsp. chia seeds
- 1½ tbsp. hulled hemp seeds
- 1 flax egg [1 tbsp. ground flax + 3 tbsp water, mixed together in a small bowl]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x9 pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa flakes, flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, sea salt and coconut palm sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients for the next layer. Use a fork to mix well. Combine melted coconut oil, apple sauce, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract and protein powder – I prefer unflavored but it’s also good with chocolate flavored. Whisk until well combined and add to the quinoa flake mixture with chia seeds.
- In a small bowl whisk together jam and water or flax egg – your choice!. Using a spatula, spread half of the batter on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the jam and remaining batter. If you are having difficulty spreading the batter add in a little more applesauce with clean hands.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then carefully lift the parchment paper out and allow to cool on a rack, add hemp seeds on top for chocolate chips if you want some extra sweet taste.
Calories 216, Fat 6.4g, Carbohydrates 36.9g, Protein 4.3g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 126mg, Fiber 4g, Sugar 15.4g