So we are back in the New Year 2016 and I just wanted to share with you an odd dish that I had over the holidays but very good and a classic nonetheless. It was mack and cheese with bacon. It was very tasty and a little fattening but still good. To put a twist on it and make it heathlier I looked up some good alternatives besides the obvious making your own noodles etc. and once again NutritionWow came up with somthing! Man that team is good.
Here is the recipe and the twist with bacon that I had on Dec 27th.
- 16 ounces brown rice penne; such as Tinkyada™ brand
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 cup 1% milk or favorite milk alternative
- 10 ounces shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese, split
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 pack of bacon low fat
Note: Great with BBQ chicken or tofu & sautéed kale. If so don’t add bacon
- Cook pasta per package directions & drain.
- In a separate pan, cook bacon until crispy or however you like it.
- While pasta boils, steam (or microwave) cauliflower florets until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- With hand blender, puree cauliflower and milk until creamy. Stir in pasta, 8 ounces of cheese and salt until well combined and looks like mac & cheese.
- Set broiler to High.
- Place mixture in baking dish. Evenly sprinkle remaining cheese on top and broil for 5 minutes until golden and bubbly.