Sloppy Morning Sausage Pie
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cup shredded American, Swiss or cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup lowfat milk or fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup packaged biscuit mix or packaged lowfat pancake and baking mix
- Dairy sour cream (optional)
- Fresh baby spinach leaves or small basil leaves
- Rasberries on top
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain sausage mixture on paper towels. Spoon sausage mixture into a greased 9-inch pie plate. Top with shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs and milk. In another small bowl place biscuit mix; gradually whisk egg mixture into biscuit mix until combined. Slowly pour egg mixture over the cheese.
- You can add in rasberries before baking for a sweet addition (optional) or have them on top.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa and sour cream. If you like, garnish with spinach or basil leaves. Makes 6 servings.
Serve with pancakes for the best well rounded taste.